SC - white drinks and other

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 27 04:36:58 PST 1997

david friedman wrote:

> At 12:35 AM -0500 10/27/97, Varju at aol.com wrote:
> >Yes, coriander== cilantro.
> >

> >Noemi
>
> Cilantro is the leaves and stems of the coriander plans. The seeds are
> usually called "coriander." Hence the potential confusion--both today and
> in the past. 13th c. Andalusian recipes, for example, routinely use both
> and distinguish between them.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

Agreed as to the definition of the distinction, but there is still a
distinct source of confusion, since what we now call cilantro used to be
called coriander by most of the English-speaking world. The term
"cilantro" has only entered the mainstream English-speaking culinary
terminology in the last ten or fifteen years.

So, generally speaking, the seeds of the coriander plant seem always to
be called coriander. The leaves, stems, and sometimes the roots can be,
and are, referred to in English as coriander, green coriander, cilantro,
culantro, Chinese parsley and Arabian parsley, and heaven knows what
else.

Sometimes you have to go by the context.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com