SC - white drinks and other

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Mon Oct 27 15:41:10 PST 1997

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions,  I will
probably be contacting some of you for recipes.

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Mark Harris wrote:
>
> > Kumiss? Although, yes that was once milk.
>
> Fresh kumiss is white. Aged kumiss is sort of a tranlucent yellowish.
> Kinda like cheese-flavored white wine.

I've never heard of kumiss.  Is it alcoholic?  Since the theme of the
event is Winter/White/Silver, I had thought about Egg Nog, but someone's
comment of White grape juice will probably be it.

> > Not for the swans, but wouldn't a turnip dish fit the idea of a
"white" dish?
> > Was there a mashed turnip dish similar to our mashed potatos?
>
> I believe Digby has a recipe for mashed, buttered parsnips. They'd be
> pretty white. Is there a specific chronological theme for this feast?

As I said before, the theme for the event is Winter/white, so those are
the two more pressing qualities; colored white and available in winter
(although I'm probably going to stretch what was available in winter a
long way :)   If I had to pick a time or place, I would probably say
latish period (1400-1550) and Mediterranean (in particular Italian).  But
thats only a vague guideline, that I might throw away if something
completely foreign pops up that sounds perfect.

Kael