SC - Re: the Donner party

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 27 16:17:12 PST 1997

marilyn traber wrote, re the Donner party:

> If I remember correctly, the women wanted to stay back, the men wanted
> to push on-classic case of testosterone-induced insanity...lol
> margali

Actually, the breakdown was about even for both points of view. There
were several women on the Forlorn Hope, the expedition that went out to
seek help (and more or less failed). A couple of them were able to save
themselves, but by the time they got word to the authorities of what had
happened, a man who had gone on ahead, very early on, and was assumed
lost, brought volunteer help from California.

It's believed that more women survived because of a slightly higher
proportion of body fat, which helped out with both the cold and the
hunger.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com