SC - Coriander vs. cilantro

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Oct 29 13:48:53 PST 1997

And it came to pass on 28 Oct 97, that LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> A better question would be <does anyone out there have a period
> recipe from the barbarous Europeans the uses cilantro as an
> ingredient?>   :-)
>
> <blinking innocently as I adjust my turban>
>
> Ras

::Smiling sweetly::   Here are three, for a start.  They are from
the 1529 edition of the "Libro de Guisados".  The translation is
mine; I have not tried redacting any of these.

POTAJE DE CULANTRO LLAMADO PRIMO - Pottage of Coriander Called the
First

 You will take dry and green coriander and pound it all together in a
 mortar; and then take well toasted almonds; and pound them well
 together with the coriander; and a crustless piece of bread toasted
 and soaked in white vinegar; and pound it all together, and after
 pounding it take a hen which has been cooked in a pot and take the
 breasts from the hen; and pound them all together with the other
 things; and when everything has been pounded, strain it all through a
 woolen cloth, and when everything has been strained through, put it
 in the pot where it must cook and cast in a good quantity of sugar;
 and of all fine spices which are good, strained through with the
 other things and cook it on the hearth; and put in the pot nutmeg and
 mace and cinnamon and ginger and cloves; and when it is cooked remove
 it from the fire and cover it, as if it were rice, and let it rest;
 and then prepare dishes, and cast sugar and cinnamon upon them.

 OTRO POTAJE DE CULANTRO LLAMADO CELIANDRATE SEGUNDO - Another
Pottage of Coriander Called the Second Celiandrate

 Take dry coriander seed, and clean it and grind it well in a mortar,
 and then take well prepared almonds, and pound them well with the
 coriander, and when everything is well pounded, put these ground
 spices with it: cinnamon, ginger and cloves: and when it it well
 ground, dissolve the sauce with the juice of sour oranges and sweet
 white grapes, so that it is not very sour; and put it on the hearth
 to cook, and sample the taste, which must be between sour and sweet;
 and the color of this sauce must be a gray color, and this sauce is
 good for roast partridges and chickens, and upon the sauce [put]
 sugar and cinnamon.

 OTRO POTAJE DE CULANTRO LLAMADO TERCIO - Another Pottage of
Coriander Called the Third

 You must take green coriander, and cut it finely, and pound it in a
 mortar at the same time as dry coriander; and then take toasted
 almonds and toasted hazelnuts, and pound them separately in a mortar;
 and when they are pounded, mix them with the almonds; and resume
 pounding it all together; and when it is well pounded, pas it through
 a woolen cloth; and set it to cook in the pot, and cast in all fine
 spices with saffron; and vinegar and sugar, and set it to cook with
 little fire just until it is a little thickened; and remove it from
 the fire and prepare dishes and upon them cast sugar and cinnamon.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net