SC - help oop

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 28 18:57:24 PST 1997

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> If I could be so bold..........the addition of a carrot quartered, an onion
> studded with 2 whole cloves, 1 small bay leaf and a stalk of celery cut into
> large chunks would greatly improve the finished product. Simply remove the
> vegies and either discard or serve as a garnish at the end of the cooking
> process but before the gravy making. :-)

Of course. I omitted those ingedients only because the gentleman listed
what was available to him, and those items weren't among them. For
preference a whole head of garlic, unpeeled, a bit of tomato, some red
wine, and some dried porcinis would be the way to go, in my view. You
push the head of garlic through a food mill at the end of the cooking
process, and the puree thickens the sauce.

But certainly, aromatic vegetables are always a good idea when braising
meats, and no one seems to have really improved on the basic mirepoix
veg combo, for flavor.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com