SC - being sneaky (was re: mustard soup)

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Oct 29 11:28:29 PST 1997

kimi writes:

> > mustard soup.  >>

> Tried this last night on my hubby (who hates anything close to mustard and
> makes really ugly faces when I spread mustard on my tomatoes!) and didnt > tell
> him what was in it (of course). he had 2 bowls (never goes for seconds) and
> then I burst into hysterical laughter!!!! I then told him what was in it...he
> looked truly disgusted for a minute (I think he was contemplating divorce)
> and said that if mustard had always tasted this good, he would have eaten it
> earlier!!! I used a brown-like mustard, stone ground it says on jar...but the
> thing is he liked it!!! maybe I can change the way he eats yet (we've only
> been married nearly 8 years!)

kimi, you make me proud!  :-)

The first time I ever made stroganoff for my first husband; he saw me stirring in the sour cream at the end and said he wouldn't eat "that white glop."  Swore he hated sour cream; thought it was disgusting.  (Never stopped him from eating all the chips-n-dip, though...)

So I tried my brother's trick:  I made it about a month later, agreeing to put sour cream only in my half; and added about a tablespoon to his without him knowing.  (I explained that it got lighter in color "because of the cornstarch thickening.")  Every time I made it after that, I stirred in just a little bit more, then added proportionately less sour cream to my own.

After about the twentieth time I made it, he complimented me on it and I asked him what he liked about it.  He said, "It's that kind of sourish tang."  I burst out in laughter, much like you must have... and then confessed.  He was FURIOUS... but he had thirds.

There is a great deal more psychology in the cooking and serving of food than most people ever realize...

I suppose one day I should call him up and confess about all the pureed vegetables I sneaked into soups and stews all those years (he refuses to eat vegetables)...

<hee hee hee>

	- kat