SC - RE: sca-cooks V1 #405

Louise Sugar dragonfyr at tycho.com
Thu Oct 30 07:56:41 PST 1997

Noreen, when I make onion soup I first make a hearty beef broth using both
meat and bones so that it will gel when cold....Keep in mind that I make
this by tongue/taste....I have no real recipie... I learned from a chef at
one of my favorite restaurants

Beef stock
Meat, bones, chopped carrots,onions, 1 clove of garlic, parsley and 1 stalk
celery slight amount of pepper and salt...water to cover and simmer for
several hours remove bones and strain stock

after I have a good hearty stock I wilt several onions sliced in about 4-8
tablespoons of butter...add stock and wine to taste...some like more than
others...I use 1-2 cups since I am making about 2 gallons and I use red
wine.....depending on the stock either a hearty one like burgundy or a
lighter one....simmer for 30 min or so top with toasted French Bread rounds
and cheese (swiss, provolone or mozzarella...I have even used Rouqefort)
brown slightly and serve