SC - cuskynoles

Thu Oct 30 08:26:13 PST 1997

>FWIW, it was suggested to me by two separate and individual sources that
>in both Spain and Portugal, there are dishes called "cosquinos", which
>are any of several types of filled pastries, like an empanada, etc.
>
>Adamantius
>______________________________________
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at asan.com

The cuskynoles are similar to a Tunisian dish, Breyes Beylicales (recipe
appended).  I found it while scanning Elizabeth David's A Book of
Mediterranean Food for supper recipes.  The recipe is modern and it
comes without a history.  It occurs to me that if cuskynoles are related
to cosquinos then the both may be related to the breyes beylicales.
However, this is not an area of my expertise, so I will cheerfully turn
it over to you and Cariadoc for a more informed opinion.

Bear

                   Breyes Beylicales (a Tunisian sweet)

Recipe By     : David, Elizabeth; A Book of Mediterranean Food

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
     1/2  pound         fine semolina
   2                    eggs
   1      pinch         salt
     1/2  tumbler       water
     1/2  ounce         almonds
     1/2  ounce         walnuts
     1/2  ounce         pistachio nuts
     1/2  ounce         pine nuts
   1      ounce         castor sugar

Pound nuts and sugar to make a paste, reserve.

Work semolina, eggs, salt and water together to make a stiff dough.
Roll out on pastry board until very thin, about 1/16 of an inch.

Cut semolina paste into two inch squares.
Put a spoonful of the nut mixture on each square.
Fold the paste over to form a little envelope.
Fry them in hot fat or oil.
Drain them and put them in a dish in which you have prepared a little
warmed honey.
They are served cold.

I think the 1/2 tumbler of water is approximately 4 fluid oz.