SC - poison was - bay leaves

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Wed Oct 1 08:17:57 PDT 1997

                      poison was - bay leaves                      10/1/97

<snip>
Bay laurel, like cloves and nutmeg, has certain properties which would render
it's classification as a "poison" more nearly correct; and; when consumed in
large quantities can be fatal.

Viscountess Judith has provided me with several references along these lines
and I can post them if you would like me to.

Lord Ras
=<snip>

I knew that nutmeg is poisonous in large quantities, and clove is carcinogenic
(what isn't?!), what is poisonous about bay/laurel?  On a local herb walk the
teacher pointed out the "nuts" of the bay as a stimulant.  Apparently native
californians chewed them as a stimulant and appitite supressant.
- -brid