SC - Problem Spices (WA

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 1 09:16:35 PDT 1997

> There have been a couple notes refering to cinnamon (cassia) and "true
> cinnamon", could somebody explain the difference, and perhaps tell us how to
> tell the difference?
> - -brid

The easiest way to tell is by looking at the whole piece of bark, as I
recall. Cassia has a double curl when it dries, meaning that there is a
spiral of dried bark, a small bit of relatively straight bark, then the
other long edge spirals/curls in the opposite direction. True cinnamon
has but a single spiral curl.

I have never, ever seen true cinnamon in a supermarket, nor have I
tasted it. I also understand that true cinnamon's taste is different
from cassia.

ciorstan