SC - Modern Myths-period

Aine of Wyvernwood sybella at gte.net
Wed Oct 1 09:57:18 PDT 1997

> <snip>
> The MYTH that period food was heavily spiced is just that> a myth.
>
> I would venture to guess that this myth was  perpetuated by the entirely
> inaccurate and gastronomically hideous recipes that are found in Fabulous
> Feasts. A clearer understanding of the flavor <snip>

although I have no basis in fact, I would sort like to dispute that...you seem to
forget that refrigeration was not in existance until this century.
I have cookbooks from the last century... foods may have not been ''highly
spiced'' - and that depends on one's definition of spiced - but spices were used
frequently to hide the tast of food that was in the process of spoiling.

> But then if you consider that some of the very standard "Americana" cookbooks
> contain a lot of bland food,

and since I collect cookbooks, many of the ones I have use spices frequently, and
the European and Aisian cookbooks use spices heavily...what's yer point?

> and that many people in the past couple decades
> were raised on frozen dinners.  And some people have no experience with any sort
> of "ethnic" food.

I am not sure what you call 'ethinic' foods... honestly, I must be an
anomoly...for pretty much all the people I know cook, and do not do the frozen
food bit...
small point here...a number of years back, there was this craze for ''soul food''
when I discovered what constituted ''soul food'' I laughed myself silly....
Uh, I grew cooking that stuff ... spicy to me is NOT hot, but full of spices
[cinnamon, nutmet, etc.] hot is hot is hot....  I grew up on French Creole and
Low Country Carolina foods...ALL contian ooodles of spices.
What one has to remember that is that this country is a melting pot....
when one writes a cookbook, one hopes to sell that book.  In picking recipes
authors tend to go for a broad audience.
NOW, if you want to see what America reallye eats, go buy the local cookbooks of
church groups, jr league etc....those are the recipes those good ladies use on a
daily basis...and some of the best you can find...and highly
regionalized.  You can also find recipes that have been handed down in the family
for generations, recipes, btw, that work....

> And think of all the things that are jarred and canned
> in the stores that are generic flavored compared to the real, fresh, homemade
> version (salsa, gravy, spagetti sauce etc.)  If someone's concept of Mexican
> food is "Taco Bell", going to say Santa Fe and eating at a restaurant where
> there is homemade salsa and blue corn tortillas would probably put them into
> shock.  To many people, a well prepared period feast with herbs, spices,
> vinegars etc., might seem very exotic and over spiced.
> -brid

I know many, many people that cook from 'scratch'  I can also tell you that
there are products on the market that I use, because they make my life
easier.  I work two jobs, spending all day in the kitchen is NOT an option.
But I can tell you this, I can have southern fried chicken, green beans, rice and
gravy and biscuits on the table in 60 minutes...yes, the green beans come from a
can, and not I do not just dump them in the bowl and heat up....
I use instant rice, and chicken broth to make my old fashioned pan gravy...
the kind that is not for the cholesterol impaired and when cold looks a lot like
wallpaper paste....my chicken is light and non greasy....
There are many ways to take advantage of todays conveniences and still
make meals from 'scratch' .
Unfortunately there are some who haven't a clue as to how to do this....

now about that over spiced period feast....most of the time it iis....
spices should add to the flavor not knock one down...
and many poor feastcrats go into the pit thinking that cooking for 150 people
[or more] is just going to be the most fun thing...there is a whole world of
difference in making dinner for a family and making sure 200 pounds of pork roast
comes out perfect gets served on time and still warm.
I still remember the hockey pucks [er chicken breasts] that came out 20 mites
ahead of the frozen angel hair pasta.........

I think one of the most thankless tasks in the Society is that of Feastcrat.
If the meal is not perfect than we gripe...but not realize that the poor person in
teh kitchen may have never had the experience, to just get the darn meal on the
table is a feat unto itself....
aine