SC - Modern Myths-period

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 1 21:55:17 PDT 1997

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> As far as food spoilage I do not belief (and extant
> period documents do not support) the idea that period people ate tainted
> food. It was dried, salted, or cooked. Placed in vinegars or honey or
> otherwise preserved or used.

One mustn't forget the ever-popular expedient of  leaving the animal
alive, on the hoof, to produce eggs or milk, or whatever. If you look at
some period menus and the days of the year that they are from, you will
probably see that chickens and other domestic fowl, and rabbits, are
primarily being eaten in the warmer months, and the larger domestic and
game animals are being slaughtered or hunted in the late autumn and
through the winter. To some extent this may have had to do with the
availability of animal feed and/or forage, but I suspect it was also no
accident that the annual hog-killing is in the cold part of the year.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com