SC - Noemi's recipe challenge

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 2 17:56:01 PDT 1997

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> I'm a bit late with this comparison (my husband was working on Web stuff last
> night so I didn't get a chance to get on again.)  I think all three versions
> of the sour vetrece were quite interesting.  I like the idea of using a wine
> or balsamic vinegar rather than the white vinegar I used.  This will also
> help me with deciding the amounts of saffron and mace to use.  I was actually
> surprised by how similar each version was. Also how the dish would have been
> served was fun.  Since Tarhonya is a Hungarian dumpling it would be perfect,
> as would the noodles that Brid suggested.   I found Conchobar's addition of
> beef stock very interesting because I almost did the same thing the first
> time I ever made the sour vetrece. (I thought it would be far too sour with
> all the vinegar, but found out the sour cream levels the taste out quite a
> bit.)
>
> Out of curiousity, Adamantius, why did you decide to use prepared mustard
> rather than mustard powder?

I suppose it was that a dollop of prepared mustard turns up frequently
in sauces, while powdered mustard is generally used to make prepared
mustard. Also, dishes that have powdered mustard in them are often a bit
harsh, as it is hard to tell at first just how powerful the mustard will
turn out to be when it is fully macerated with the other ingredients.
Prepared mustard gives you a little more control in this regard, at
least. And, I didn't think the vinegar in the mustard would be
especially out of place here.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com