SC - Re: Deer as chainsaws

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 3 09:00:09 PDT 1997

> Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I live in the deep woods, and my garden
> only gets about 2 hours of sunlight directly a day. Roses need a bit more
> than that, plus the deer eat them down to the ground. I had some planted
> under my bedroom window, and they were destroyed...couldn't even find the
> roots. The end of my very long driveway recieves some sun. That's where wild
> roses and wild raspberries and blackberries grow in profusion. I've tried
> planting things there on purpose, but those deer won't leave anything alone.....
>
> sigh
>
> Aoife

My mother has lived in the hills outside Stanford University-- Mountain
View for the last fifteen or so years. She refuses to eat store-boughten
tomatoes (wise of her!), or store-boughten lettuce and so she grows a
fair amount of garden truck on a respectably-sized plot.  Outside the
garden plot, the native foliage is supplemented by things the deer do
not like-- lavender, orchids in pots, different salvias, lots of 'em,
poppies... And how does she keep the deer out of the garden plot?

Electric fence. Drastic, but it works. Half her plot is flowers for
cutting. Last summer she could put together a massive and spectacular
bouquet in less than five minutes.

ciorstan