SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #326

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Oct 3 10:05:20 PDT 1997

>Francis' Favorite Cookie
>
>1 pound blanched almonds
>1/2 cup honey
>1 tsp cinnamon OR 1 tsp vanilla (OOP)
>2 egg whites, lightly beaten
>approx. one cup flour
>
>Chop almonds very fine or coarsely grind in a blender.  In a bowl
>combine the nuts,
>honey, cinnamon, and egg whites.  Mix thoroughly.  Gradually stir in
>enough flour
>to form a thick paste.
>
>On a lightly floured surface, knead the paste until smooth and stiff.
>Roll out to
>1/4" thick.  Cut into diamond shapes about 2 1/2" long.  Place on
>lightly buttered
>and floured baking sheet and let dry 1 to 2 hours.
>
>Bake 250F oven for 20 to 30 minutes until set.  Do not let brown.
>
>@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>niccolo difrancesco

This bears a striking resemblance to macaroons, ratafia cakes, and almond
wreaths, which hail from england/france, italy, and russia respectively.
They all seem to have the same ingredients. I recall (quick, someone, hand
me my brain) that there is a recipe for mackrons or some such spelling in a
14th century English cookbook. I'll try to rack those brains a little harder
and come up with a name. And me a librarian. Sheesh. The Russian version is
quite nummy and is from Elena Molokhovet's Gift to Young Housewives (1700s).
She's got a couple of them for similar cakes.

A hint, since I made these and they were *devoured* while still too hot to
eat in the wreath form: do not chop the almonds too finely.  Chunky almonds
make for a lovely, nut brown cookie. Baked marzipan would be a good guess
here, too, i suppose, but i loved the crunchy type. I lightly chopped
slivered almonds. The results were astounding. You are supposed to use a
cookie press (which obviously won't work with chunky almonds), but I don't
own one. I simply blopped a teaspoon of the stuff on the baking sheet and
flattened, then made the hole with my finger. They like to stick to the
baking sheet, though. Mrs. Molokhovets reccomended parchment, I believe, or
rice paper. I used Pam, and had to remove from the tray a tad too early for
shape-holding. They look lovely as a wreath garnished with a bit of glace
cherry (red and green) for the holidays. I loaned that recipe out and never
got it back. Now I have to run out and try yours!

I do own an English version of the Italian recipe (Ratafia). Not from a
period source. Let me know if you'd like it anyway.

These are my favorite type of cookie. I had completely forgotten them until
you brought it up. Guess I'll have to start making stuff for x-mas. Just as
an excuse to nibble, you know.

Thanks for the blast from the past.

Aoife