SC - Buried Foods (was - Composte)

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Fri Oct 3 10:31:13 PDT 1997

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Thousand-year-old eggs are made by burying raw eggs (usually duck) in,
> or smearing them with, a particularly alkaline mud. The alkalai
> denatures the proteins, effectively "cooking" the eggs, as with seviche.
> The process actually takes about two months, I believe, although they
> will keep at room temperature for quite a while. Personal observation
> indicates they keep for at least six months to a year.

How does one tell that they are done?  Is there a problem with burying
them too long?  And, how alkaline should the soil be?  I grew up in
Northern Jersey and with the amount of acid rain that the area receives I
would doubt that the soil is very alkaline in nature.  Delaware, where I
now live, probably isn't much better.  I would love to try this, but would
think that if it didn't turn out right that it would be fairly disgusting.

Kael