SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #327

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Fri Oct 3 18:50:28 PDT 1997

>>I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!  I have an excellent recipe for Rose Hip wine!  Smells
>>like a garden, tastes like a curious white with a bit of "rose hip tea"
>>thrown in.  If you want it, I'll post it.
>>
>>Lady Peyton
>
>Absotively! Posalutely!

   I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, if not, please forgive me.  I've
never participated in a mailing list before!  I didn't want to duplicate the
entire post just for a few lines of text, som I'm responding this way.

   I too would love to have this recipe for Rose Hips Wine!  I can't
tolerate red or white wine (sweet or dry), but recently discovered (again,
it had been 6 years since I tried it last) that I ADORE and enjoy Mead.  I'm
wondering if a wine of a different fruit might be more palatable than wine
from grapes.  There is something romatic about wine, and it frustrates me
that I don't enjoy it - in fact, it curls my tounge!

   Also wanted to thank those of you who posted recipes!  I love collecting
recipes, and this discussion of how to actually DUPLICATE them is very
exciting!  I have gathered a collection of recipes off the Internet, but
haven't tried any of them yet.  Many of them I can't even UNDERSTAND.  The
others...  Well, my husband isn't very brave for me o try them and serve
them to him.  And occasionally they call for ingredients I have no idea
where to find, that it seems might loose the right touch without them.  How
do you guys come by some of these strange ingredients?  (Juniper berries?
there are dozens of species of juniper!)  And how do you know when it's
appropriate to substitute marigold petals for saffron?  (Sorry, I can't
afford a spice that costs $1000 an ounce!)  Or to just forgoe the recipe and
look for another one?  My husband bought 2 small lamb chops (coming from
lambs, I guess it goes to say that they would be small) a while back and
asked me to make something out of them.  I think I finally did a greek
recipe, but came very close to a Scottish one.  Have any of you re-created a
Scotch mutton recipe with lamb?

    As to the fund-raiser cookbooks... I wrote a cookbook of my late-Grandma
Holland's recipes - the ones we could ifnd anyway.  Only I haven't been able
to get it to the printers to make copies for the rest of the family.  It has
a lost of recipes out of magazines though, so I don't think I would ever be
able to publish it commercially.  It is 70 pages, and my printer only makes
3 copies of the book (or less) before it runs out of ink.  It's rather
expensive to publish that way!

   Well, thanks for the conversation!  Looks like a fun mailing list to
participate on!  The first one I ever tried.

- -Laurene Wells
(Sorry, I don't have an SCA name yet.  Haven't decided on a person, time
period, country or anything.  Maybe next Spring when my husband FINALLY gets
done with school.)

- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*