SC - Re: A couple questions . . .

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 09:50:19 PDT 1997

<< 1) I have a marvelous recipe for Barley-Mushroom Risotto ....<snip>,,,,,
allspice,broth)  and the cooking method also (slow simmering, adding
 broth as absorbed)>>>

Sounds wonderful! :-) Try dropping the allspice which is New World and
substituing another sweet spice to make this recip completely period-like.

 	<<2) Is Lavender a period flavoring?  ....<snip>....>>

Yes, the use of Lavender as a food flavoring is very period.

 	<<3) What about subsitutions?  ...<snip>.....>>

Although I do not usually make substitutions personally, preferring to use
another recipe instead many on this list do substitute in recipes (e.g. the
use of carrots (carotes) in the Compost recipe insted of the parsnips
(pasternaks) that are clearly called for). While I would not personally
encourage substitutions, I have attended many feasts and eaten dishes that
clearly contain substitute ingredients which were very tasty. If you
substitute, clearly stating that this is being done would be appropriate.

  	<<How adventurous is a "newbie" allowed to be without offending the
 Authenticity Mavens or being sniffed at as OOP?   ....<snip>.....>>

To most individuals a well-prepared and tasty feast is of the utmost
importance. It's not so much, what you serve as it is how good it tastes. :-)
Adventurous is OK. I served Great Bear Stew at my first feast and Roast Goat
at my Second. Then I remember a certain Boar's Head for 12th Night and a very
recent Roast Emu because Rocs were not to be found. :-) The bottom line is
cook well and they will come. :-)

 <<	One More:  can anybody reccommend a good sherry??    >>

This is a hard one . Most professional cooks use a dry sherry when cooking
with this wine but I use regular sherry without exception unless the recipe
specifies dry sherry. A good rule of thumb is never use cream sherry in
cooking savory foods. If you remember that any sherry would be exceptable in
a pinch.

Lord Ras