SC - stuffed mushrooms?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 6 14:24:13 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

>                       stuffed mushrooms?                           10/6/97
>
> whups, on speed read and edit mode- so I erased the useful info too fast, but
> on one of the responses regarding roast with cryspes, somebody said do stuffed
> mushrooms as a side, to be more period in style.
> Are stuffed mushrooms period?  stuffed with what?
> When I do stuffed mushrooms I use the stems and onions chopped and sauted,
> breadcrumbs, sharp cheese and whatever herbs appeal at the time- stuff the
> caps and roast in the oven until brown. Yum- would love for these to be at
> least period-esque
> -brid

It would be nice, but I haven't seen any evidence that stuffed mushrooms
were eaten anywhere in period. No recipes, no literary references.
Nuthin'.

The closest I have seen was a dish of faux mushrooms (morels) made from
ground chicken, and IIRC, they were stuffed with something. Offhand I
don't recall what. That would be in Das Buch Von Guter Spise.

The three actual mushroom dishes I can think of, offhand, that are from
period sources, are the dish of funges in the Forme of Cury, which is a
mushroom-and-leek stew, Mosserouns florys, from an early prototype of
the FoC, which appears to be mushrooms larded with pork fat, glazed with
egg yolks, and grilled, and the guidelines for mushroom pasties in Le
Menagier de Paris. There are more from later sources, but they are
pretty similar, and their periodicity is debatable.

It does seem as if most mushroom dishes in period tend to be either
parboiled before the main cooking process, or cooked in liquid. One
possible explanation, since these dishes are probably not being made
with the cultivated mushrooms we know today, that there is a certain
trace level of toxicity to be addressed. I do know that my book on
gathering, classifying, and cooking wild mushrooms, seems to lean in
this direction.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com