SC - Salmon at feasts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 6 18:43:02 PDT 1997

Russell Gilman-Hunt wrote:

> I suppose what I am asking is - how much do we "worry" about things
> like this?  I've no problem with not eating salmon (more for me), but
> should our feasts also take into account mundane issues like this?

Up to a point -- SCAdians spent a good portion of their lives as
mundanes / out of persona, and it is difficult for many people to forget
their mundane politics even when in persona.

If people choose not to eat salmon because "it is an endangered
species", then I see no way to change their minds, especially since the
statement, in and of itself, is indicative of a certain level of
fanaticism.

If some types of salmon are endangered species, then certainly people
should not eat them. On the other hand, the farmed varieties ofPacific
salmon, or the farmed Atlantic salmon (my own personal preference), are,
by definition, not endangered. Wild salmon may be another story, but the
salmon we purchase in bulk for events generally aren't wild. We might as
well say that we won't eat farmed salmon out of a sense of solidarity
with their wild salmon brothers.

The same goes for veal, venison, and a variety of other animal foods.
Some people just won't want to eat them, and there seems little
likelihood, as well as little point, in trying to change their minds.

All anybody can do is try to come as close to period foodways as their
ethics and their personal tastes will allow them.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com