SC - rose recipes

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Oct 8 00:22:53 PDT 1997

Aoife asks:
I have a large number of wild rose hips growing, and I'd like to harvest
them and do something.I've been bitten by that "preserve for the winter"
bug. Someone once lent me a source that had "A Tarte of Hyppes" in it, but I
can't track it down now. Do any of you have any other ideas? This sounds
<<<<<<

Take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my Stefan's
Florilegium:
cook-flowers-msg  (18K)  1/ 5/96    Cooking with flowers. Medieval flower dishes

There are several recipes in there for items using roses, including
the one I have pasted below. It also includes a message that includes
the Hungarian rose fritters recipe posted here recently, but this
message was apparantly posted to the Rialto in 1994. I have added
the messages posted here on cooking with flowers but that version
won't be on the Website for another week or two.

If you have too many rose petals for eating you might consider
making rose beads out of them. See this file in the RELIGION section:

rosaries-msg      (54K)  8/ 6/97    Period rosaries and their use. Making rose
                                       beads.

You could also try rose oil or rose-water. But at the cheap price for rose-water,
I don't know if it is worth the effort unless just for the learning experience.
For more info on this try this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:

rose-water-msg    (32K)  8/11/97    Where to buy. How to make. Rose-water uses.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Hope this helps.
   Stefan li Rous