SC - Glossary? (WAS: Re: ALMOND COOKIES)

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Wed Oct 8 09:49:00 PDT 1997

On learning to read period recipes, "translating" the language...  A
good source may be the cookbooks you can get ahold of!

I looked at what's at home on the cookbook shelf...  there's a small
glossary in my 1st ed Pleyn Delit; you can learn a lot from Karen Hess,
reading the footnotes in Martha Washington; there are notes in the index
to the Two-Fifteenth-Century EETS book (Original series, #91; 1881,
reprinted 1961; my copy says $25 for the hardback).

******
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/cooking_from_primary_sources.html
for Cariadoc's article on "Cooking from primary sources"

Our homepage, listed in my sig below, also contains general links to a
number of other period culinary e-resources (Medieval -> Arts & Sciences
- -> Food & cooking)

******
For a very-beginner 8-), a good paper choice might be the Madrone
Culinary Guild's Culinary Reference Manual (52 p. 1992).

It's not perfect, but it has what looks like a good section on analyzing
recipes for redaction (Reconstruction hints and A Sample
reconstruction); a long list of ingredients, old-world and new-world (no
howlers that I noticed), a 20-page Glossary section, and an 8-page,
fairly small print, annotated bibliography, current as of 1992.

And it's still available, according to the An Tir Stock Clerk's add in
the Oct Crier: $3.00 includes shipping, check or money order made to
"SCA, Inc."  Address
from [An Tir] Stock Clerk, Ellsbeth of Englewood, PO Box 488, Wauna WA
98395.  (Check or money order made to "SCA, Inc.")

No, I don't work for the Guild 8-), but have been collecting their
publications for a long time!

I haven't seen Siobhan's Travellyng Dysshes...

Hope these help.

Chimene

Patricia R. Dunham - Eugene Public - 100 W 13th Ave - 97401
patricia.r.dunham at ci.eugene.or.us - 541-984-8321
http://204.203.17.34/library (EPL)     <<<>>>
http://members.aol.com/gerekr/medieval.html (home)
 ----------
| From: Woeller D
| To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
| Subject: Re: SC - Re: ALMOND COOKIES
| Date: Monday, October 06, 1997 8:49AM

(snip)

| No Ma'am;
| I don't find it dull at all, just confusing.  If it is possible, I
would
| like to have your redactions, as I am as yet unable to understand the
| language in most 'period' recipes. I have seen several recipes in the
| last two weeks (since I subscribed) that looked terribly interesting,
| but they are intimidating, because I can't understand them.  I also
saw
| several where the original was given, followed by the redaction, which
| very much appreciated, because the redaction that the kind author of
the
| e-mail gave not only helps me with that recipe, but helps me figure
out
| what like language may represent in another period recipe, thus
allowing
| me to feel my way around whole new horizons.  I'm not sure what the
| skill level is for the rest of the mail list, and I apologize for
asking
| for details if newcomers to period cooking are in the minority, but I
| really do appreciate clarifications when they are available.
| Many Thanks to everyone who has shared info.
| Angelique.

SCA-Cooks".