SC - Substitute for bitter orange

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 8 15:09:50 PDT 1997

ANN1106 at aol.com wrote:

> I have never heard of the orange/lemon juice as a substitute for bitter
> orange.  When I make a Bitter Orange Sauce to be used with desserts, I cut
> the peel of half of the oranges that I will be using and add this to the
> juice.  The sauce is then heated (with cornstarch, sugar and juice of a
> lemon).  When ready, the peels are allowed to macerate for 30 minutes before
> straining and storing.
> Cointreau and Triple Sec are two alcoholic liqueurs that are made from
> Seville (Bitter) Oranges.
> Audrey (aaparker at aol.com)

I have heard of it; while addition of some peel certainly helps with the
bitter aspect, the fact is that Seville oranges aren't nearly as sweet
as most of the varieties available to Americans. Probably a combination
of lemon and orange, with a bit of the orange peel, would be best.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com