SC - Confit d'oie

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 9 07:34:43 PDT 1997

marilyn traber wrote:

> I was classically french trained, and it is something I learned the hard
> way, by doing them in large quantities over the course of a winter
> daily. I have no clue of how old the recipe is offhand, except as much
> of the classic french cuisine dates to the 17 and 1800s. Instead of the
> chicken legs, it is supposed to be confit of goose, which I forgot to
> give directions for.
>
> Take the legs and drumette sections of raw goose, take and melt enough
> unseasoned goose fat to cover the legs.drumettes laid out in a
> rectangular pan [pieces not touching] place in a very slow oven, 250 f
> until all the water is driven out of the fat and goose has absorbed much
> of the fat. I find about 2-3 hours is enough. It sounds like it would be
> greasier than all get out, bt if you use the confit, you dont add butter
> to the top. Confit if placed in a jar, and the fat poured over all will
> keep without refrigeration for about a week.

What, no cure? Margali, I'm shocked ;  ) !!! I suspect this deviation
from tradition might be the result of learning the technique "the hard
way", as you put it. Generally a two-day dry-rub cure of salt and
saltpetre, is involved. We used to salt them, put them on cake racks in
a sheet pan, and store them in the walk-in refrigerator, uncovered, over
the weekend, and cook them first thing Monday morning. We had to be
careful where they were placed in the walk-in, in order to keep up with
the health regulations, but it helped the cross-contamination issue that
goose and duck aren't subject to salmonella.

Magical stuff, though.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com