Wild rice (was: SC - Newcomers Redaction)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Fri Oct 10 06:17:15 PDT 1997

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Phyllis Spurr wrote:

> I didn't know this.  Boy every day I learn something new on this list.

Actually you might just have confused two different things in your
terminology (I just saw your othr post with the redaction). Wild and
brown rice is not the same thing.

Brown rice: the health food stuff. Basically a "unhusked" regular rice.
	The price is about the same as regular rice, perhaps a bit higher.
	Brownish in color, and has, in my opinion, much more character than
	most regular white rice.

Wild rice: a grain that grows in some lakes in the Great Lakes region.
	It is longish grains, black with some of the white interior showing
	through. Price is _high_ due to the fact that it is harvested
	from a wild crop. The package should say something about indians
	on it ;-)

> > Personally I would have considerd using "aviori" style rice, but I have
> > no idea if this kind was widely available in Europe in our period, if at
> > all. Anyone?
>
> What is "aviori" style rice.  My knowledge is sadly lacking on rice,
> personally, I dislike rice.  Comes from "having" to eat it!

Basically a cross between brown and white rice (it's about processing, not
species difference, but the effect is like a hybrid). More acceptable to
the "white rice" crowd, but still has much more of the nutrients left
(white rice is not a good idea, nutritionally speaking).

As I stated earlier I would love to hear someone (with better knowledge
than I have) tell us about what kinds of rice were available where and when.
Probably thesis level stuff, though, unless it has already been done.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
"I think, therefore I parse regular expressions."