SC - beer bread recipe (was re: small feasts)

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Oct 10 13:03:59 PDT 1997

>> <snip> to make the beer bread without the baking
>> soda... I've actually been told "not to bother coming" to potlucks unless I
>> bring a couple of loaves... <grin>
>>
>>	- kat

> What's the recipe?

> Bear

Bear (and other interested parties):

	My mom found this recipe after my brother, home on leave, left half a sixpack in our pantry and my mom at her wits' end what to do with it.  (Gods forbid the neighbors should see, right?  <grin>)  It's in our family cookbook and we make it all the time.

Beer Bread (not period)

3 cups self-rising flour*
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
1 12-oz. beer, room temperature

Combine.  Let sit for 20 minutes for the beer to "work."  Bake for 1 hour (I think 375 deg., I'm in the office so not sure) or until it looks like bread.

Never make a single batch, because you'll eat the first loaf while it's still hot.  :-)

	- kat

* hence the OOP status; self-rising flour contains baking powder...