SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #352

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Sat Oct 11 08:31:32 PDT 1997

>Angelique asked:
>
>  I'm new to
>this, and thought the library was the only place to go, and there's not
>much I'm finding there, either.  I'm getting the impression that I just
>don't know how to look.  From the proliferation of documentation I'm
>seeing in this list's correspondence, I would guess you gentles do. Any
>suggestions?

Hey, a question that combines documentation, historical food and Libraries.
Finally, something I know a lot about!

Your best bet, if you want to do this on the cheap, is to follow this path:

Either: Go to the largest Library in your area. Find books about Food
History. Xerox the bibliography pages. Look at the Bibliography and decide
what books pertain to the areas you are interted in. Take this information
to your local library and request that they get them through inter-library
loan. This may take a couple weeks. When you get your sources, you can xerox
portions (not ALL) of it without violating copyright laws, since you are
using this for educational reasons (ie: as research). Copying all of it
would be a direct violation of copyright laws, as your purpose is clearly to
circumvent actually buying the book---that would be fraud.

OR: Make a list of food topics, ethnic country food, and cookbook authors
that will interest you. Stephan's Florilegium (the SCA-interest archives)
will be of great help to you here. Go to your computer's internet search
function and look up the Library of Congress. At the Library of Congress
website you can search for book titles and information, book subjects, or by
author. Take this information and, once again, go to the library to try to
get these sources through Inter-Library Loan.

Inter-library loan is free to Library members.

For cost, you should be able to take the above information and go to
bookstores and order various in-print books. Additionally, at most large SCA
"Wars" there will be merchants who carry these books or who have sca-printed
resources. Poison Penn Press and Raymond's Quiet Press are two that come to
mind. Lastly, used bokstores can often take "orders" for used book that are
out of print or nearly out of print. They will look for a book, buy it, and
then make it available for you to purchase within a limited time. Sometimes
you can order multiple copies.

Lastly, if you go to the SCA web page, you should be able to find the page
for book sales and backissue Compleat Anachronist. Some of the CA issues
cover food. The SCA Merchants Page also carries Take a Thousand Eggs or
More, Vols 1 and 2, which have period recipes collected and arranged by
subject matter, The Compleat Dagger Lickin Good Cookbook, How to Cook
Forsoothley, etc...

I hope this helps you!

Oh yes, one last thought. There are a lot of resources on the web. You never
know what a little persistence will gain you.

Aoife

There are severl books in print that