SC - Re: Truffles, etc.

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Mon Oct 13 11:11:00 PDT 1997

> I believe it is more a case of the increasing difficulty of finding
> good
> European truffles, and the fact that they aren't as big or as
> flavorful
> as they used to be.

Probably true, after all as a natural plant, they only grow and
reproduce so fast. It is a question of supply and demand.

> The only variable (and it's a biggie) is the question of quality. I've
>
> never tasted an Oregon truffle, so I couldn't say how they stack up to
>
> European ones in flavor and aroma. And, while there are people who
> will
> kneejerk prefer to buy anything American over anything European,
> conversely, there are people who automatically assume anything
> European
> is automatically superior to anything American, which is patently
> hogwash.

Agreed, I prefer german, american and australian wines to most of the
french stuff, but I think the best port and sherry still come from Spain
and Portugal, And my favorite brandies are Asbach Uralt and Carlos...

> As for foie gras, I can only say that I'd much rather have the foie
> gras
> from New York State, that I can buy fresh, whole, and raw, than
> anything
> from Europe which generally has to be ground up and put in a can. I
> can't speak for or against the quality of the pristine article in
> Europe, but I'd bet it's about the same as the stuff from D'Artagnan.

They still have the overprocessed stuff they fob off on us, fresh is
still the best way to go.

> Adamantius, being fair, unbiased, and objective. Really!

I believe you....
margali