SC - Bread/beer/yeast

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Tue Oct 14 14:01:14 PDT 1997

Hi people,

Butting in again about breadmaking.  I generally don't make bread
from the yeast in the bottom of the bottle, only after bottling beer
and having the lees to use up.  After one or two appalling disasters,
I would strongly recommend not using stout barm or bitter barm for
bread.  It makes stuff that is virtually inedible.  If you don't brew
yourself, try to convince your favourite brewer to make ale or a
light beer.  The stuff that's left in the bottom of the bottles
generally sits in my fridge (not more than a week or so) and used in
sauces (eg. over sausages) or (my favourite) Skye Cake, which is a
Scots recipe for fruitcake with the died fruit soaked overnight in
beer first.  I do usually use baking soda (1/2 quantity from normal),
but think that a yeast-risen version would be perfectly acceptable.

Cairistiona

Dr. Ian van Tets
Dept. of Zoology
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701 RSA

ph: +27 +21 650 3641 (w), 650 3301 (fax), 47 5324 (H)