SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #355

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Tue Oct 14 11:10:00 PDT 1997

Ah, boar's heads subtleties...  Of course brings back memories (tho not
my own, this happened slightly before my time..., in the neighborhood of
23? years ago) of "The Jew-boy's 12th Night in Adiantum" --

Now before anyone gets offended, it was the Prince of An Tir, referring
to himself (one Sir Edward Zifran, Viscount Gendy... yes, him!) and the
King of the West (Andrew of Riga), who was going to be visiting
dignitary -- who came up with this glorious appelation!

What Edward wasn't expecting was Viscountess Gwendolyn's sense of humor.

Aided and abetted by certain members of the populace of Adiantum (then a
very small barony in mid-Willamette Valley Oregon), she prepared a
boar's head for the J-boys... and processed it up to the high table with
much pomp ...

Apparently it looked extremely authentically porcine.  There was
consternation at the head table (oh no, no one told her, we can't EAT
that thing, but how do we not hurt her feelings or embarass her....)  --
until she relented and explained that it WAS indeed a subtlety, made
entirely of cheese!

So, anyone in Stromgard or Three Mountains want to go talk to herself
and see what you can find out for us about how she did it?   Or I'll try
the next time I see her, tho that may be quite a while.

Chimene

(Oh, the other story about that event involves the expression on
Andrew's face when a "God keep the King" toast from the populace ended
with one little voice piping up ever so clearly from the back of the
hall with the "far from us" ending that a certain Baronial daughter,
then aged about 6, had heard all her life!)