SC - Herbs and Herbals

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue Oct 14 12:20:12 PDT 1997

>As a member in good standing of an herbalist guild, I can attest to
>there bing modern herbals that are just as inaccureate as the old ones.
>In fact, almost all herbals are regugitations of older works, with only
>moderate changes.

I agree that there are modern herbals out there just as inaccurate as older
herbals.  As guildmistress, when I teach herbalism, I recommend only four out
of the nearly 20 that I own for that very reason.  I own the nasty ones just
so I can show newer members what to avoid.  If you recall, I listed one that
is a very good source; in fact, he is so conservative that he lists rosemary
as something to be used with caution.  However, I do not believe your
statement about almost all herbals being regurgitations; yes, they all should
have a bibliography, but many also include much more recent research, even if
some of  it isn't done in the U.S.

>I am not saying to just go out and eat everything, but dont believe
>herbals blindly. Old wives tales can be misleading as well as what you
>read on the internet. If you can get a copy of the US Formulary, many
>herbs have been animal tested as food, drug and cosmetic additives, and
>you can find the toxicity levels there[they however make no attempt to
>test out the medicinal qualities or other claims.]

I posted from work, without any sources nearby.  I expected that I was posting
to an individual who needed just some quick basics.

BTW, where can we get copies of the US Formulary, and how much does it
generally cost?

>margali

Derdriu