SC - horror stories (was re: fake intestines)

Tue Oct 14 13:17:10 PDT 1997

>This one didn't happen to me personally; but I was there for the whole thing.
> A feastocrat asked the 12-year-old daughter of the head of my house (from a
>family of really great cooks) to "be in charge" of an entire course.  She
>patiently researched and (with lots of help) recreated the recipes -- a
>lovely beef dish and a green olive soup; and no, Ras, I don't have the
>recipes or source <grin> --  and had us over for dinner a couple of times
>trying them out.  I think they were perioid rather than period; but she
>worked her little heart out and the test runs were terrific!
>
>She showed up the morning of the feast, armed with notes and information...
>and was told by the Great and Mighty Feastocrat that, since she was so young,
>she was not allowed to touch the knives or come near the stove.  He refused
>to take her advice on the dishes and prepared the recipes HIS way.

<deleted>
>	- kat

How amazingly discourteous.  I am the tyrant of my kitchen and I
probably treat people badly in the heat of the moment, but to invite a
guest cook into your sanctum, then slam the door in their face, that is
truly atrocious behavior.

You have given me a wonderful idea for a small local feast.  Have the
children who are interested in cooking research and prepare the dishes
with a small group of adults providing overall supervision and support.
Keep the feast between 30 and 50 people, so it won't be murderously
tiring on the cooks.

I don't know when I'll be able to do something like this, but I am
certainly going to keep it in mind.

Bear