SC - Confit d'oie

Jasper Fieth cem8780 at omega.uta.edu
Tue Oct 14 21:34:45 PDT 1997

> > Was the discovery which was made by the lady you
> > mention that the original version of the dish was not cured, or that
> > the
> > dish was unpleasantly salty if cured? I had understood that the
> > original
> > version was for slightly cured pork.
>
> that even aftre rinsing the top layers were too salty, she saved it by
> stirring all the layers together and adding a quart of stock making it
> into soup.

Old trick:
If a soup is too salty, we'd peel a potato, punch it full of holes with a
fork and toss it into the soup. Remove the potato before serving, as it's
absorbed most of the salt. This also works in meats that are being
prepared in sauces or in liquid of any kind -- Grandma used to slice the
potato into slabs about as thick as two fingers in the case of meats.

Grandma used this trick preparing Grampa's dinners, to make sure he didn't
get too much salt. Worked like a charm, took away none of the taste. And
what is better, he didn't catch on.

Esko Sola

***

D'ja hear about the dyslexic robber who tried to hold up a bank with a
gnu?

Do not trifle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

This is Mac.                                      \\\\|////  'Hi'
He wants to travel the world.                     ( O   O ) /
Please add him to your .sig and help him.    ---oOOo--U--oOOo---