SC - Small Feasts-'unplanned' LONG

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Oct 17 00:57:33 PDT 1997

Angelique,

The recipe is in most of Julia Child's recipe books, but here is my version.

Have at hand:

Two VERY fresh eggs and one teaspoon of water per omelette

Omelette fillings  (spices, ham, hot peppers, bell peppers (if you can
stand them). onions, bacon, grated cheese (usually 2 or more varieties,
depending on budget), and any other ingredients your heart desires, or your
leftovers provide. Make sure everything is chopped and ready, because you
won't have time while you're omletteing-{new verb})

Individual pats (approximately one tablespoon) of butter - one per omelette.

Omelette pan- silverstone or other non-stick type preferred. TOUCH MINE AND
DIE! (I have NEVER put a utensil to its surface)

Ladle which measures out precisely two eggs and one teaspoon of water.

Note: I usually don't do more than a dozen eggs at a time. I'll get
assistants to beat them as needed. Better texture if they're very freshly
beaten.

Heat pan and add one pat of butter until it foams. Just as the foam starts
to die back, add two eggs beaten with 1 teaspoon of water. Let flatten, and
start shaking the pan back and forth so the eggs slide.Add ingredients to
the center of the pan in a line perpendicular to the handle. Keep sliding
until cheese starts to melt, then TWITCH your wrist(this takes practice-
it's hard to describe) so the omelette rolls up in thirds. Slide out on
plate and tthrow butter in for next omelette.

The technique takes practice, and the first two or three omelettes take a
little longer to cook until the pan is heated properly. Once you're
rolling, however, you can turn out a well-cooked omelette to the diner's
taste every 15 to 20 seconds. The ladle makes the whole process that much
quicker. Also, the wrist twitch which rolls the omelette up into thirds is
a bit difficult to master. I invariably screw up one of my first three
omelettes, although they taste good- they're just not pretty.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't, really. If you've got the pan,
the ladle and the eggs to hand, you can start in 15 minutes- depending on
the prep for the ingredients. When I do it for our SCA New Year's party
morning after, I have every thing but the eggs ready to go. After all, who
needs a knife in their hand the morning after? I will nuke the cooked,
chopped bacon- another texture decision.

Later,

Phlip

Never a horse that cain't be rode,
 and never a rider cain't be throwed.