SC - Re: A couple questions . . .

Fri Oct 17 06:00:50 PDT 1997

  This may be the wrong forum, but what DO people consider to be "period"
  brewing sources?

Good forum.  There are better ones (the historical brewing mailing list
comes to mind).

Digby's great advantage: it's a brewing book, basically.  Nothing else comes
close.

There are smatterings of brewing recipes in Curye on Inglische, Menagier,
Eleanor Fettiplace, and others.  Medicinal books often have cordial-like
recipes.

Some of the sources can be found in Renfrow's "A Sip Through Time", along
with tons of post-period stuff.  (I think she reads this list, but I'll dare
say anyway.... it's a pretty expensive tome, but it is also probably the
only one-stop-shopping for medieval brewing that I know of.  I wouldn't have
paid the stiff cover price, except I'm a completist for books.  Sigh.)

I've put several recipes on the web: you can find them at
    http://www.math.harvard.edu/~schuldy/brewing.html

The are basically transcribed from some private email I sent a long time
ago.  It's not to be taken as gospel: merely a convenience.

	Tibor