SC - re: eggs

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Oct 17 12:01:01 PDT 1997

brid asks:

> along the lines of the versions of pickled eggs and tea eggs:
> Isn't there a recipe somewhere that calls for hardboiling eggs over a very low
> heat for a number of hours in a bath of onion broth or something of the like-
> for the flavor as well as the color?

Brid,

	Yes!  It's a Jewish recipe; I helped Merrin (Na'Arah) make them for the Feast of Jewish Holidays.  (I think I'm STILL full from all that food... )

	You can do them on stovetop or in the oven; we used the oven at about 250*, overnight in a turkey roaster.  One hundred fifty eggs, the skin of a half dozen onions, cover with water, done the next morning.  Gorgeous things...

	And folks; that was probably the best feast I've ever been to.  You want to talk about overkill on the food?  Lady Na'Arah, a real live honest-to-goodness Jewish mother, put together a feast that included traditional dishes from ALL the traditional Jewish holidays; plus a handful of family favorites, in four removes.  Three different kinds of charoset; one Sephardic, one Ashkenazic, and one without something-or-other due to an allergy.  And despite her exhaustion and tired feet, she actually DID go around asking people if they were "sure you got enough to eat?  There's still some chicken...  Maybe some brisket?"

	There was so much food left over that, even after the food handouts and the donations to the local Shelter, I actually ended up feeding rosemary-roasted lamb to my CAT...

	Which brings up another feast-related question:  It's commonplace here in Darkwood; but do other groups donate post-feast food to the local Food Bank/homeless shelter/churches?

	OK; enough rambling for now...

		- kat