SC - aspic?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 18 04:14:24 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Dragonfyr said:
>
> > she filled the blown out eggs with a beef aspic,
>
> Ok, I've seen several mentions of this "aspic" in several messages
> lately. For us new cooks, what is it?
>
> Stefan li Rous
> markh at risc.sps.mot.com

Aspic is a very clear jelly made from meat-based gelatin, as, for
instance, the juice from a roast chicken will turn into a jelly when it
gets cold. The jelly around the canned ham is another example, except it
is usually unacceptably salty. For most culinary purposes, aspic is
usually made either by adding gelatin to stock, or ideally by boiling
down consomme, which is an OOP, extra clear, extra flavorful, meat or
fish stock.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com