SC - aspic?

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Sun Oct 19 19:35:12 PDT 1997

On 18 Oct 1997 01:49:06 U "Mark Harris" <mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com>
writes:
>Dragonfyr said:
>
>> she filled the blown out eggs with a beef aspic,
>
>Ok, I've seen several mentions of this "aspic" in several messages
>lately. For us new cooks, what is it?
>
>Stefan li Rous
>markh at risc.sps.mot.com

I've been reading {grazing,actually} _A Concise Encyclopedia of
Gastronomy_ by Andre L. Simon, and he has what looks like a real cool
recipe for Aspic. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'll give it
out anyways:

Aspic
french for Meat Jelly. Meat gravy and calf's foot jelly flavoured with
pot-herbs, one of these being the espic or spikenard, hence the name.
	The more usual way to make a meat glaze for Aspic is as follows:
	Onions and Carrots
	1 calf's foot
	Small "bouquet garni'
	1 clove garlic
	1 clove
	Hot water
Cover the whole bottom surface of a heavy copper or iron saucepan with
slices of onion; cover these in turn with trimmings of lean meat,
preferably gelatinous things such as pieces of shank of veal, skin of
fresh pork and scraps of beef, poultry or veal. Add one or two sliced
carrots, a calf's foot cut into smallish pieces, the 'bouquet',clove,
garlic, salt and pepper. Moisten with a ladleful of water and set on a
good fire to sweat. When the juices begin to flow and the contents of the
pan begin to colour and look like sticking to the bottom, reduce heat
greatly and continue cooking very gently until the surface fat looks
quite clear. Skim this fat off very carefully, then add hot water
according to requirements. Do not touch contents of pan, beyond shaking
gently now and then, that the browned onion may colour the glaze nicely,
but do not allow contents to burn.Simmer gently  over a low heat for 2 or
3 hours; then, again skim off any surface fat and strain the gravy
through a very fine sieve lined with muslin. Set aside for use whenever
wanted. It will keep well on ice.

If anyone uses this, let me know, and we'll compare notes!
Lady Beatrix