Pickled egg recipes WAS Re: SC - Small Feasts-'unplanned' LONG

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Mon Oct 20 07:05:35 PDT 1997

Chanda Shaffer wrote:

> Mi'lady Angelique,
> Your pickeled eggs sound wonderful.  I have never tried them with dill
> and garlic. I will try it in the next batch I make.
>      I make a similar recipe but I make my own pickling liquid.  I use
> equal amounts of regular canned sliced beets-pour in the juice, sugar
> and cider vinegar.

Is that equal amounts of juice, sugar and vinegar? Or is there less
sugar? No water? Is is possible, if the sugar amount is correct, that
that is what makes the eggs rubbery? I have eaten my version 2 weeks
later, and they've been good, but maybe I just haven't really noticed. I
am happy to get this recipe, because I have lots of canned, sliced,
beets, but would much prefer pickled beets & eggs.  Thanks. Another
person's recipe (with another question) is at the bottom of your
message.

> heat in a saucepan with a sliced red onion and a
> handful of whole cloves and a cinnamon stick. In a gallon glass jar,
> layer the beets and peeled hard boiled eggs.  Pour the hot liquid over
> the eggs  and cover.  keep in the fridge for a few days to let the
> liquid seep into the eggs.
> A gallon sized jar will hold about 1 1/2 doz. eggs and three cans of
> beets with pickling liquid.
>
> BTW if the eggs aren't gone in about a week they get kind of rubbery but
> will still make wonderful deviled eggs
>
> Ivy~

>Ok let me try since I normally do this with no recipie at all .  I >learned
>this from my grandmother when I was very small and still use the same >jar
>after all these years.  It is a 2 quart jar I THINK.

>I boil a dozen medium eggs to hard boiled stage, cool under running >and shell.  On the stovetop heat equal portions (a cup or so) of apple >cider
>vinegar and beet juice/water(3:1 ratio)

Is that equal portions of vinegar and beet juice to 1/3 as much water,
or 3 times as much vinegar to 1 share of beet juice or water? Thanks.

 plus a small onion sliced and
>separated into rings, 3 or 4 whole cloves and 3 or 4 peppercorns, 1/2 to 3/4
>tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of sugar. Bring just to a simmer and turn off stove.
>Do not strain.  Place 3 thin slices of lemon in bottom of jar, pack in a
>layer of eggs and some of the marinade then a second layer, marinade, eggs,
>marinade to the top.  Be sure that the marinade completely covers the eggs
>and cover with 3 thin slices of lemon.  cover jar with waxed paper, screw on
lid and place in fridge for a week or so....the longer  the tangier the
eggs
become....after 3 or 4 days they are a lovely ruby color after a week or
so
they are a browner red.  I have also made them have a hot tang by adding
1/8
tsp or less of red chile pepper.  You can adjust the amounts of marinade
by
the addition of more vinegar and beet juice but try to keep the
proportions
equal.  I've made these for about 40 yrs now and love them also you can
put
beets into the same marinade and have pickled beets as
well.....DELISH!!!

:D