SC - SC- Basic Cookbooks

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Mon Oct 20 10:26:14 PDT 1997

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> Can the good members of this list recommend any good, basic cookbooks?  Now
> that I've finally unpacked all of mine I realized that I don't own a basic
> cookbook.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Noemi
> who doesn't own any nice kitchen knives either

This is my answer to Yorkshire pudding, Aspics and cookbooks combined.
Ignore what you will.
The book that I find indispensible is Helen Worth's 'Cooking Without
Recipes'.  It's old (Mine is a third copyright edition from 1965) but it
has hundreds of 'patterns'- it explains techniques for cooking items and
styles, with guidelines and hints so that you can 'freeform', and also
has many basic recipes.
For example, someone was talking about 'Yorkshire Pudding' recently.  I
looked it up, and it was an option under 'popovers'- what it is was
explained, as well as how to adapt the recipe out of basic popover
batter, and variations called 'Manhattan Pudding' (melted butter instead
of beef drippings) and 'Toad in the Hole' (pork sausage & drippings)
were also listed.

Popover batter(to use in Yorkshire Pudding)

1C milk
1C flour (measured after sifting)
1/2 t salt
1T melted fat
3 eggs

Mix only until blended & no large clumps. Pour over 1/4 C beef drippings
in 8"X8"X2" pan & bake @ 450 F for 1/2 hour. Puncture to let off steam,
let sit for 10 minutes. Cut into squares& serve. I'm making it tonight.

Then, others have asked about aspic- I don't find it in my modern
cookbooks, but page 149 of my trusty old reliable says:

Aspic

- -1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- -2 cups liquid, divided  OR 1 3/4 cups liquid plus 4 T acid (having
explained on the same page that vinegar or lemon juice may be used to
'tenderize' the gelatin)
- -1/2 t salt
2-4 C flavoring ingredients*OPTIONAL ( having explained on the previous
page under 'gelatin salads' that good liquids are fruit juice, stock,
bouillon or milk, and suggested flavorings include various meats,
veggies, seafoods & fruits)
Soften gelatin in 1/2 C cold liquid. Stir over low heat until gelatin
dissolves. Remove from heat & add remaining liquid & salt & pour into
molds.  If using flavoring ingredients, fold in when gelatin is
cosistency of egg white, then pour into molds.  Refrigerate until firm.

The reason I treasure this book is because it doesn't just give me
recipes, it tells me how to prepare food, and explains everything in a
way I can understand.  I never have to go look up a term in another
book.  It also has lots of old-fashioned hints about how to make things
taste better, or fix ruined dishes. ('larding' roasts for
flavor/tenderness, sliced potatoes in an over-salted sauce or soup,
roasting fowl carcass before making broth for a richer flavor) It's a
wonderful source for general cooking help, but definately OOP, and some
of it's offerings are very high fat (it's not a 'modern' cookbook, and
is concerned with flavor, not cardiac arrest) but, if it is still
available, I would recommend it very highly.  If it's not available
through a new book store, try used, or thrift stores/ garage sales- it's
worth the search.
Bon chance
Angelique