SC - Honey Apples

Steve Geppert emster at alaska.net
Wed Oct 22 11:00:44 PDT 1997

Looking for something to do with a bag of "older" apples I had on the
counter, I stumbled on a Honey Apple recipe in my Joy of Cooking.  The
recipe is simply honey, vinegar brought to a boil.  The apples are pared
and thinly sliced and dropped into the mixture and removed when
transparent.  As my medieval cooking library is in its birthing stages,
I couldn't seem to find anything similar. Is this something that could
be period?  It would be a great traveling dish as it can be served
chilled or hot.  It was also a hit with my children, none left on the
table after dinner!

I am also interested in knowing what would be a good "starter set" of
knives.  I've greatly enjoyed the discussions so far and have been glad
I don't have coffee in my hand or I would've burned myself!

Thank you,

Lady Clare
(settling in for the long Alaskan winter, snow on the ground already!)