Re- SC - pickled herring

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Oct 22 18:55:51 PDT 1997

Par Leijonhufvud answered my question about ideas to use pickled herring:

>Being a scandinavian I generally eat pickeled herring with boiled
>potaoes, sour cream and some fresh chives (chopped). A "typical" summer
>lunch.

So, is all this served cold? Or mixed together and heated? Is the
herring drained or boiled or just taken out of the jar?

> Around Xmas you are supposed to go berzerk and make "fifty-eleven"
>kinds (I am rather partial to the mustard versions myself). Traditional
>item on a smorgasbord.

Is this a mustard sauce on the herring? Or is the herring cooked in
a mustard sauce?

Most descriptions people have given so far, seem to take the saturated
herring and use it directly. Is this correct?

Perhaps the fact that is nearing Xmas is why these jars of various herrings
suddenly appeared in my grocery store.

>No idea how/if it was used in period.

I thought the pickled herring was. That was one reason I wanted to try it.
But I am open to trying modern recipes too. I haven't been able to find salted
or dried herring yet.

Stefan li Rous