SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 22 20:56:37 PDT 1997

At 10:29 AM -0700 10/22/97, Mike C. Baker wrote:

>Beginning of rant: the SCA covers the period of time extending
>through the END of the 1600's,

End of the 1500's. The bylaws say "pre-seventeenth century."

>My point: document and use, use as substitute, or make up from whole
>cloth based upon ingredient availability at a given time and place.

At this point I disagree with you, if I understand you. The fact that an
ingredient was available isn't enough to tell you how it was used. As has
been pointed out before, all the ingredients for making bluejeans (minus
zippers, which would have been hard to produce, although probably not
impossible) were available in our period. It doesn't follow that bluejeans
are period garb.

Similarly, if you "make up from whole cloth" your recipes based on
ingredient availability, you are  unlikely to produce period food, whether
early or late period. Consider what a chinese cook would produce from the
ingredients in an American supermarket (chinese food, not american food) or
an American cook with access to a chinese market (American food, not
Chinese food).

>Just don't claim New World or Asian or African foodstuffs as
>automatically not suitable for SCA without assigning a specific time
>of introduction or other documentation.

Agreed.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/