SC - Re:Late period is NOT medieval

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Thu Oct 23 07:24:44 PDT 1997

My lord Pax (sorry if I get your name wrong);

You write:
>Beginning of rant: the SCA covers the period of time extending
>through the END of the 1600's, and therefore it is entirely proper
>and respectable to occasionally include dishes, spices, or methods
>of preparation documentable to this time scope in an SCA setting.
>(Don't try to pass them off as 11th century Nordic recipes, of
>course...)

Actually, the SCA covers 400 A.D. to 1600 A.D (the end of the 16th century).
While I agree with Ras that post-1500-ish is not strictly medieval, neither is
the early part of our timeframe.  However, that is the timeframe allotted to
us by Corpora.

Regarding geography, we are supposed to be a Euro-centric focus.  That doesn't
entirely preclude New World, but keep in mind that during our period only
Spain had much contact with the New World. (BTW, my lady has a New
World-touched persona and couldn't wait to leave the barbarians.)  What this
means is that many foods such as beans and chocolatl haven't had much of an
impact -- yet.

Derdriu