SC - honey apples

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Thu Oct 23 10:18:52 PDT 1997

>If you have the Joy of Cooking, it's in the fruits section.  Recipe is
>simply 1 cup honey, 1/2 cup vinegar.  Heat to a simmering bubble
>(boil?).  Pare, core, and thinly slice your apples.  Drop apples a few
>at a time in the simmering mixture and take them out when transparent.
>Serve chilled, hot or as a dessert with cream.  I put them out
>separately on the dinner table, but all of us ended up putting them on
>the broiled pork chops.  Yum.

Ooops.  I misread the last post on this and used half vinegar
and half honey.  I sliced the apples and plunked 'em in the mixture
and let it cook while I fixed the "crispy potato chicken."  Came out
kinda sour, but yummy.  Probably would have tasted better with cider
vinegar rather than white vinegar, definately peel the apples.  Not
sure why I got "sweet and sour applesauce" but all who ate it liked it.
Probably cooked it too long or something.  Or wrong kind of apples
(one fiji and one MacIntosh.)

(Crispy potato chicken is boneless/skinless chicken breasts, a bit of
dijon mustard slathered on top, grated potato (with olive oil and lemon
and garlic salt) on top.  In 425 degree (F!) oven for about 35 minutes
or until the tops of the potatos resemble hash browns.)  It's from some
quick/healthy cookbook I got as a present.  We make it with turkey
breasts because someone doesn't like chicken.

The chicken recipe is OOP.  :)

===
One man's fish is another man's poisson.

Conchobar
AoA, WOAW, A&S Champion of Three Mountains
Apprentice to Ollamh Lono of Adiantium