SC - Cuskynoles(Got Your Attention, Adamantius?)

Thu Oct 23 08:50:33 PDT 1997

>Hi! Adamantius, I'm finally ready to dissect your bete noir: Cuskynoles.
>Anyone care to join me?
>WARNING! WARNING! THIS IS A PUZZLER. NOT FOR THE FAINT AT HEART. BRAIN DRAIN
>AHEAD!

<deleted>

>The butter
>weakens the joins, and this also makes them easier to break apart.I'm not
>sure if we are to reassemble already cut peieces, or just make a
>recatangular dough. I rather think the former, though. I think, too, it's
>clear this is not leavened dough.

<deleted>

>Aoife---really hungry now.

I have in my collection a recipe for Citronenkuchen der Fugger, which is
a filled, covered pastry with certain similarities to this recipe.  The
recipe purports to be from a 14th or 15th century cookbook associated
with the Fugger family of Augesberg (of course the authors generously
left off all provenance).  I will post that this evening.

I've baked three of the Citronenkuchen.  One came out leathery.  The
other two were crisp.  Pricking to facilitate breaking makes sense and
it answers one of the problems I had.  The idea of precutting is
interesting and I may try it in future.

My successes came with rolling the dough very thin and baking in a hot
oven (the thermostat was off so I think I was actually between 400 and
425 degrees F).  Egg wash on top gives the pastry a nice golden shine.

I'll be interested in seeing the notes from your test.

Bear