SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #346

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Oct 23 20:24:22 PDT 1997

At 11:21 PM -0400 10/22/97, John and Barbara Enloe wrote:
>Milord Cariadoc,
>
>No, I did not say Medieval, I said within the period covered by the Society
>for Creative Anachronism, Inc., a historical recreation group.

You were responding to me. I was responding to Laurene. Laurene had posted:

>A while back, after reading a few recipes on here, I made one of those
>basic one-pot dinners.  It consisted of a thick Chicken stew, made with
>potatoes, onions and a few green beans; homemade bread, and Mead served with
>it.  It occurred to me half way through the meal that it could easily have
>been a *medival* dinner!

(emphasis added by me)

I had responded by pointing out that:

>Except that it couldn't have been. Potatoes were not used in *medieval*
>European cooking, nor were green beans. And I cannot think of any *medieval*
>recipe that is similar in style to what you describe, even aside from the
>choice of ingredients--perhaps someone else on the list can.

(emphasis again added)

To which you responded, quoting the above exchange:

>There are numerous documentations for potatoes in late period (last 25 or
>so years).

And I replied:

>>I didn't say anything about "late period;" the word used in both the post I
>>responded to and  my post was "medieval." Are you suggesting that 1575
>>qualifies as medieval?

Either your post was not a reply to mine--despite quoting mine and the post
I was replying to in it--or your post only made sense on the assumption
that 1575 was medieval. I assumed you had misread the exchange, assuming
that when I and Laurene said "medieval" what we really meant was "SCA
period." I was pointing out that I, at least, said "medieval" and meant
"medieval."

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/