SC - Late-period is NOT Medieval

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 07:55:15 PDT 1997

<< Now on to the real
 meat of this; would you have looked at the the contents of this feast and
"went
 out for pizza" or would you have gone "oh well" and eaten a very good meal?

Had I known in advance, I would not have signed onboard but woulod have
gathered together other off-boards and invited them to my camp. Had I not
known in advance I would have eaten it and enjoyed it as food and would have
complemented the cook accordingly. The question as I see it is not one of
attending a non-period feast per se but rather one of attempting to portray a
non-period feast as period. I also f

I also understand that many groups have people who regularly volunteer to
feast-o-crat events that have no interest in M.A. cookery. What I fail to
understand is how a person not interested in period cookery would want to
cook for an event associated with the SCA. Our shire has many (6-8) persons
who are very interested in period cookery and I humbly submit they are quite
good at it. Therefore the question in my shire is not whether a feast will be
an attempt at period but rather who will get the privelege of cooking it. :-)

It is not my intention to belittle or dismiss SCA feast cooks who choose to
do non-period but rather I am more than a little curious about their reasons
for doing so. I would never wear modern military attire to an SCA fighting
field and I would never , personally, consider doing a non-period style
feast. The bottom line is that I find it inconsistent with the Dream. :-)

Ras