SC - Late-period is NOT

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Fri Oct 24 19:15:17 PDT 1997

>I think there are also a lot of people willing to put the work into
>producing
>a feast, who are in the SCA "just for fun"- for whom period-esque
>food,
>costume etc., is quite sufficient to make themselves happy, and
>therefore do
>not see the need to push authenticity.

Many of them don't know any better. I know a lot of the locals who are
eager to help do feasts are new. They're just learning. I'm sure in a few
years, if they keep cooking and get a lot of encouragement, they'll
improve their records as far as authenticity is concerned. A lot of the
oldie-moldie types in our area who already know a lot of this are burned
out and rarely, if ever, do feasts anymore. Hey! Everyone on this list
think back to the first feast you cooked or helped cook! Mine was turkey
and rice with mandarin oranges. I didn't plan the menu, but I didn't know
it was wrong, either. I've improved a lot. And I hope to continue
improving! Some of the "just for fun" types might surprise you, if they
are encouraged rather than judged too harshly.

Julleran