SC - Syringes

Aine of Nowhere sybella at gte.net
Fri Oct 24 20:06:15 PDT 1997

when it comes to needles and syringes, let me off a bit of advice.
as a nurse in the mundane world, if I could I would use those tiny little
insulin needles on everyone...but there are two reasons why I use different
sizes needles and syringes and it is _not_ the amount of liquid.
The size needle I use is deterimined by the size molecule in the liquid I need
to inject or withdraw.  the syringe I use is determined by well yeah, the amount
of fluid but more imortantly the amount of pressure.
A large, say 60cc syringe does not inject with as much pressure as a 3cc
syringe.   I used to use a device for larding venison, then I discovered that
a 5cc syringe with a 16gauge 1 inch needle was excellent.... a large syringe
just did not have the pressure to really inject the fat, I needed a large lumen
needle [which I get at a feed and seed store] because the molecules in fat are
gigantic....I use about the same thing when ''loading'' up a watermelon
with vodka....grins.  For filling pastry I swear by a large 60 cc syringe or a
good 30 cc...

now I shall give you a few tips and NO I shall tell where I learned them -grins
when the rubber in the syringe starts to stick, a little vaseline rubbed around
the rubber edges will renew it, the needle gets dull, take a matchbook and rub
the
needle gently from the back of the slant to the front...watch out or you can
''barb'' the needle...okay yrs ago, a pt of mine taught me the finer points of
reusing needles for drugs....the things one learns on the job [eyes rolling]

If you can get real lucky and have the chance try to aquire a needle that they
do spinal taps with...the lumen is huge and the length is about 2-3 inches.
absolutely the best for loading watermelons and larding.

for a squirt gun of unique force - but a one shot deal - try a 3 cc syringe....
can make it across a room...grins....
aine